In English Grammar, use of Am, is, are are used to indicate the tenses in present form. These helping verbs are used to show the singular or plural nature of the tense.
USE OF “AM, IS, ARE”
In a sentence, verb and subject are in consonance with each other in singular or plural form.
- In a sentence, when subject “I” is present we use helping verb “am”
- With subjects “we, you & they”, we use helping verb “are”
- When “he, she & it” as a subject are present in a sentence, we use “is” as a helping verb
- When subject “you” is present either in singular or plural from, we always use helping verb “are” (plural verb)
- In a negative sentence, we use “not” after verb
- In interrogative sentence, the helping verbs “is, am & are” always come before the subject and in beginning of the sentence
- In a sentence, when common singular noun is present, we use articles “a or an” before it
- When “adjective” comes after the verb, we do not use articles “a & an”. Similarly, when adjective comes after the common noun, we use article according to the adjective.
The table given below shows the use of helping verbs with nouns and pronouns:
|I am||You are||She is||John is|
|We are||He is||It is||They are|
Note: Use “is” with singular name like John, Maria, Anna
Use “are” with plural names like John and Maria, Anna and John
- This is an inkpot.
- These are inkpots.
- He is a player.
- They are hockey players.
- I am a doctor.
- We are good swimmers.
- You are a student.
- You are not well today.
- These are not beautiful flowers.
- It is not a new moon.
- I am not a good player.
- He is not a good swimmer.
- This is not an inkpot.
- We are not poor.
- Is it a new dress?
- Am I not ill today?
- Are you not a liar?
- Is he a clever boy?
- Are the eggs not fresh?
- Is she in the room?
- Is that girl in the room?
IS, Am, Are Worksheet
- I _____________ resident of Edinburgh.
- Sophia _________ in class eight.
- These boys _______ good players.
- You _________ a doctor.
- Many children _________ absent.
- He _________ happy.
- We ________ sisters.
- It _________ very cold.
- She _______ angry.
- Our cities _______ clean
- The doctor ________ present in his clinic.
Q No.2: Change into negative:
|1.||He is a poor boy|
|2.||I am a rich man|
|3.||It is a pencil|
|4.||Sophia is a good girl|
|5.||He is my friend|
|6.||I am her fiancé.|
|7.||You are a good writer.|
Q No.2: Change into interrogative:
|1.||He is a young boy|
|2.||Anna is a rich lady|
|3.||This book is mine|
|4.||I am plucking the flower|
|5.||You are good players|
|6.||It is cold morning|
|7.||She is reading book|
Download: Is, Am, Are Worksheet in pdf