Compound words are words that are made up of two or more other words. In this article, readers will be able to go through the compound words meaning and examples.
Compound words are two or more words that come together to form an adjective, noun, or verb. They are made up of two words that are combined together to form a new word. The grammatical term for this is called compounding. These are typically created by combining two words to form one new word. For example, “dog house” or “super hero.”
Commonly used Compound Words
For example: the word sunflower is made up of two words, sun and flower. Some examples of compound words are as under:
There are some more words in the English language which are compound words.
Compound Words with Light
- lights out
- light bulb
- light switch
- light year
Use of compound words in sentences
- The United States is a federal republic.
- I will never forgive you for this betrayal.
- She was born on May 1, 1973.
- He drives a black car that is very old.
- I love the creamy texture of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!
- I’m allergic to peanuts and cannot eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- My grandmother loves to cook for us on weekends. (cook + for)
- We’ve been friends since kindergarten!
- I have a cold and a headache.
- We are going to a movie and dinner tonight.
- I have been working on this project for several days now, but it still isn’t done completely.
- The new computer system is causing problems for us right now, but the company hopes to fix it soon so that everything runs smoothly again soon.
- The dog house is for the dog’s house.
- I like reading books but I dislike reading newspapers.
- I’ll try to look at the problem from another angle.
- The police officer gave a ticket to a speeding couple.
- The dog is barking in the backyard.
- There were two men standing outside the house.
- The dog’s tail wagged slowly.
- The dog’s tail was wagging slowly.
- The boys’ voices were loud and clear.
- We bought a new car last week.
- I had a good time last night.
- Paul’s mother is a retired nurse.
More to Read:
- What is Apologue?
- What is Antitheses in literature?
- Exclamation (Examples in Literature)
- Ballad (Definition in Poetry with Examples)
- Onomatopoeia (Types & Examples in Literature)
- Full Stop (.)
- Forms of Important Verbs (A to Z)
- Writing Types (06 Types with instructions) – ultimate guide
- 6 + 2 TRAITS OF WRITING – Revolution Guide
- Importance of Writing Skills
- What is an Enjambment? (Examples) – unique guide
- Use of Articles| Types, Examples & Exercises – comprehensive guide
- 60 Examples of Simile – ultimate guide
- Prepositional Phrase (Definition & Examples) – ultimate guide
- Homophones (Meanings with 100+ Examples) – ultimate guide
- Simile Vs Metaphor – 04 Tricky Differences – focus grammar
- Conjunction (Coordinating & Subordinating) – ultimate guide
- Adjective (Definition & Examples)  – ultimate guide
- What is a Pronoun? (Types & Examples) – ultimate guide
- What is a Preposition? (Definition & Examples) – Better guide
- 400 Phrasal Verbs List & Meanings| A to Z – Unique Grammar
- 350+ Adverbs in English | List of Adverbs