Use of Full Stop at the end or where it is necessary in a sentence is compulsory in writing. It makes sense of a sentence clear.
What is Punctuation?
Punctuation is the art of rightly putting pauses, points and stops in writing in order to make the sense clear and comprehensible.
Use of Full Stop (.)
The basic idea behind using Full Stop (.) in writing is to clear the idea or sense which writer wants to convey and where the sentence is ending. Full Stop (.) comes in a sentence mostly at the end of a sentence. The full stop conveys the longest pause in a passage and is used.
To mark the end of a declarative sentence, a mild command, or an indirect question.
- He needs your help.
- He asked me where I was going.
- Help me.
- Do not forget to pay the minister for performing the ceremony.
- Drivers choose their own speed.
- Please send me the report.
- The taxi driver asked us where we wanted to go.
- The days are growing shorter and the nights are becoming cool.
2. To mark the end of some abbreviations and initials:
B.A. (Bachelor of Arst)
M.A. (Master of Arts)
M.B.B.S. (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)
U.S.A. (United State of America)
U.K. (United Kingdom)
U.P.U. (United Postal Union)
e.g. Latin: exempli gratia=for example)
- In general, Abbreviations of governmental and international agencies do not take periods.
UNO (United Nations Organization)
NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization)
IAF (Pakistan Air Force)
CIA (Central Intelligence Agency)
- The full stop is optional if the contraction includes the final letter of the word.
Dr. Mr. Ltd, Mrs, Dr., Mr., Ltd., Mrs.,
Place a decimal point (period / full stop) between rupees and paisa, dollar and cents in figures expressing sum of money, before a decimal fraction and between a whole number and the decimal also.
Rs. 50.37 $165.32 $.78
A comma or other mark of punctuation may follow the period after an abbreviation, but at the end of a sentence only one period is used.
After he earned his M.A., he began studying for his Ph.D. (not Ph D.)
- Three continuous full stop / periods are placed to show, the omission of some words or incompletion of a passage. The fourth full stop is placed to mark the end of the sentence.
i. He left the room, banged the door…. and went out.
ii. The report said: “There are many issues to be considered, of which the chief are money, time, and personnel…. Let us consider personnel first’.
- Full stop is also used to separate hours and minutes.
i. I shall reach at 5.30 p.m.
Exercise of Full Stop (.)
Joe is going to Australia (incorrect)
Joe is going to Australia. (correct)
Dr Johnson belongs to Manchester. (incorrect)
Dr. Johnson belongs to Manchester. (correct)
UNO is a powerful organization (incorrect)
U.N.O. is a powerful organization. (correct)
Fina has done her MBBS (incorrect)
Fina has done her M.B.B.S. (correct)
Lucca will reach at 5 30 am. (incorrect)
Luck will reach at 5.30 a.m. (correct)
I have earned $ 50.25 only (incorrect)
I have earned Rs. 60 only. (correct)
My brother works in NESCON Ltd (incorrect)
My brother works in NESCON Ltd. (correct)
Get out (incorrect)
Get out. (correct)
Leave me alone (incorrect)
Leave me alone. (correct)
Please deliver my parcel (incorrect)
Please deliver my parcel. (correct)
Mr Nick is my uncle (incorrect)
Mr. Nick is my uncle. (correct)
More to Read:
- Forms of Important Verbs (A to Z)
- Writing Types (06 Types with instructions) – ultimate guide
- 6 + 2 TRAITS OF WRITING – Revolution Guide
- Importance of Writing Skills
- What is an Enjambment? (Examples) – unique guide
- Use of Articles| Types, Examples & Exercises – comprehensive guide
- 60 Examples of Simile – ultimate guide
- Prepositional Phrase (Definition & Examples) – ultimate guide
- Homophones (Meanings with 100+ Examples) – ultimate guide
- Simile Vs Metaphor – 04 Tricky Differences – focus grammar
- Conjunction (Coordinating & Subordinating) – ultimate guide
- Adjective (Definition & Examples)  – ultimate guide
- What is a Pronoun? (Types & Examples) – ultimate guide
- What is a Preposition? (Definition & Examples) – Better guide
- 400 Phrasal Verbs List & Meanings| A to Z – Unique Grammar
- 350+ Adverbs in English | List of Adverbs – ultimate guide
- 250 Phrasal Verbs with Meanings & Examples| Comprehensive Grammar
- Irregular Verbs List  – valuable guide
- Verbs (Types of Verbs & Examples) – complete guide
- Proper Noun (Definition & 40 Examples) Comprehensive article
- Noun Definition (Types & Examples) bonus guide
- Parts of Speech (Definition & Examples) 
- Adverbs | Definition & Examples in sentences | ultimate guide
- What does anecdote mean?| 8 examples of anecdote
- Paradox | Of Juxtaposition examples (3 examples in Literature)
- 17 Euphemism examples (use in literature)
- consonance examples (10 examples in poetry)
- 9 examples of repetition in poetry